Hounslow Council and SITA
As you will be aware, a new waste and recycling service was introduced in March 2009 following the award of the contract with SITA UK. SITA is responsible for the collection of all rubbish and recycling in the London Borough of Hounslow, whether you live in a house or a flat. They also provide the bulky waste collection service ‘Tidy Town’. The Council continues to manage their re-use and recycling centre at Space Waye.
The London Borough of Hounslow Council now offer one of the most comprehensive recycling services in London, allowing residents who live in houses and flats to recycle a wide range of items. We are also continually working with the Council and SITA to improve the service and roll out of provisions to recycle even more streams of waste. Residents are now recycling over 34% of their waste, and this means the amount of rubbish being sent to landfill is dropping.
Rubbish, Waste and recycling
For more informationvisit the London Borough of Hounslow website. Hounslow Homes is not responsible for rubbish and recycling collections - we only help them facilitate their service.
In the UK, we produce enough waste to fill the Albert Hall every 2 hours and most of this will end up in landfill sites! The actual recycling process consumes less energy and therefore produces less carbon than the extraction and processing of new raw materials. The amount we recycled in the UK last year saved the same amount of carbon as taking 5 million cars of the road!
- Recycling Reminders: Make a note on your calendar or on your fridge. This will provide a visual reminder of the day your kerbside recycling is collected.
- Whole House Recycling: It is common for people to recycle items from their kitchen, but it’s important to recycle the waste from all the bins in your home.
- Reduce unwanted mail: Many organisations now offer secure online billing rather than sending a paper bill each month. You can also eliminate junk mail by registering for free with the ‘Mail Preference Service’. This service will enable you to have your name, as well as those of previous residents who used to live at your property, removed from direct mailing lists.
- Reduce use of disposables: Use products with a longer life, such as energy saving light bulbs.
- Re-use where you can: For example, re-use plastic bags wherever you can or buy a stronger canvas or reusable shopping bag.
General information - see the abandoned vehicles page on this site.
Surrender your vehicle
For information on surrendering your vehicle, visit the London Borough of Hounslow website using the links below: