Hounslow Linkline was set up by the London Borough of Hounslow Housing Department, 20 years ago, initially to respond to calls from tenants in the 32 sheltered housing units during the Scheme Managers absence. It is a well established, non-profit making service which responds to the concepts of Care in the Community. It is particularly useful to any older or disabled person, especially those living alone or whose carer is away from home for long periods. It now caters for anyone who feels they could benefit from it. It is an effective means of summoning help in an emergency and is operational 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. It also caters for victims of racial harassment and/or domestic violence.
The Linkline system can only be installed if the person has a telephone system with the modern ‘push in’ type of socket and a 13 amp electrical socket that will take a three pin plug, within two metres.
Additionally, service users of Linkline, need to provide details of a minimum of two key holders who can be contacted in an emergency. Generally these are friends or relatives who the service user has arranged to be able to offer assistance in an emergency day or night. Service users who do not have a key holder may still be able to have an alarm installed with a key safe or by subscribing to the Emergency Responder Service.
The alarm unit is provided and installed by Linkline. It is a stand alone unit, approximately the size of a telephone. The alarm unit receives power from the electricity supply and should be left plugged in and switched on at all times. It is simple to install and the telephone can be used normally.
Individuals can wear a pendant with an alarm button, activate the button on the base unit or utilise both. When the alarm is activated, an indicator light will flash and there will be a bleep and a connection will be made via the telephone line to the control room which will immediately identify the caller and their details to the responding Linkline Officer. A two way speech link will be created and the officer will be able to directly communicate with the user to ascertain the problem and assistance required.. The Linkline Officer will then action as required, which may be to contact one of the nominated keyholders and/or the emergency services.
There is no installation charge and an inclusive weekly charge of £3.12 per week, (correct as of May 2008), for the rental of the unit, monitoring service, maintenance and repairs. This does not cover the costs of telephone calls or telephone line rentals.
The Linkline service is available to respond to emergency alarm calls 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
All calls to and from the Linkline service are recorded to ensure we give an excellent service and the Linkline Coordinator does regular quality monitoring checks.
Benefits of having a Linkline alarm
The service offers you an immediate responsive service from a trusted organisation to assist you in an emergency.
Knowing someone is available to give support and arrange assistance in an emergency situation can often give people reassurance that helps maintain an independent lifestyle with peace of mind that help is easily reached.
Everyone has their own reasons for choosing to have the Hounslow Homes Linkline service. Some are:-
- Improved peace of mind
- A feeling of greater security
- Reduction in feelings of isolation
- Being able to summon assistance in an emergency
Anyone in the Borough of Hounslow can have an alarm. Particular groups of people who benefit are:-
- Older people
- People experiencing ill health
- People living with a disability
- Those living in fear of violence, or bogus callers
- Anyone who wants the reassurance of knowing they can contact someone in an emergency
Having an alarm installed
To get an alarm installed, all you need is
- a modern BT phone socket
- a 13 amp electrical socket that will take a three pin plug thats within 2 meters of your phone socket
- A minimum of two key holders who we can contact in an emergency. Generally these are friends or relatives you have arranged to hold your keys who are able to offer you assistance in an emergency day or night. If you don’t have a nominated key holder, you may still be able to have an alarm installed with a key safe or by subscribing to the Emergency Responder Service.
You can arrange to have an alarm installed by calling 020 8583 4400
How it works
The weekly cost for the service is:
Equipment Rental £1.56
Total weekly cost £3.12
If you have any other questions or concerns regarding your alarm or well-being please do not hesitate to call the Linkline service. We are here to help. Linkline Telephone Number – 020 8583 4400
Our promises to Linkline customers
- Install alarms within 5 working days of request, providing all appropriate installation criteria is met
- Provide you with a 24 hour service 365 days a year
- Any complaints will be investigated as part of Hounslow Homes complaints procedure
- All personal details will be stored safely and confidentially
- We will contact you annually to check your details
How do I arrange to have an alarm installed?
Installations can be arranged by calling 020 8583 4400.
Other helpful information
Click on the links below to view more information about Linkline services and equipment